Thursday, October 22, 2009

Borges is Awesome



My philosophy teacher was telling us about Jorge Luis Borges the other day, and I just looked him up.

"Borges...employed two very unusual literary forms: the literary forgery and the review of an imaginary work. Both constitute a form of modern pseudo-epigrapha."

"At times, confronted with an idea for a work that bordered on the conceptual, rather than write a piece that fulfilled the concept, he wrote a review of a nonexistent work, as if it had already been created by some other person."
source
In Dr. Martin's words, Borges would "come up with fascinating ideas for books, but was too lazy to write them. So he just reviewed them as though they had already been written." Brilliant. This guy has given me a gateway to literary laze and creativity. Yay!
Also, it is Tim's birthday and I am planning a birthday surprise! I sure love that guy.
Very truly yours,
Sarah

No comments: